The Black List has teamed with Google Assistant to launch the 2020-21 Black List and Google Assistant Storytelling Fellowship. The program will provide financial and creative support to five writers in the development and execution of a new original feature film script or TV pilot. The condition is that the project tells a contemporary story from the perspective of historically underrepresented communities.
About The Black List and Google Assistant Storytelling Fellowship
Each of the five scribes will be receive $20,000 for their pitch. This is to support them for six months as they type it out. During that time, the Black List and Google Assistant will pair each fellowship recipient with a screenwriting mentor. Only writers who have never been compensated for screenwriting work will be able to opt in on the Black List website.
Up to 15 writers will receive invitation based on the strength of their scripts to submit a one-page personal statement and professional resume. Those materials will be due on Friday, January 22, 2020. From those submissions, up to five (5) writers will be selected to receive the 2020-2021 Storytelling Fellowship. Fellowship recipients will be notified in February 2021.
The Black List and Google Assistant Storytelling Fellowship Requirements
To be eligible, you must meet the requirements below:
- submit an original feature film script or pilot teleplay that portrays technology in a positive light
- agree to
- these Submission Requirements,
- all terms relating to the Program posted on Company’s website, which you should review and read in full, and
- the Submission Agreement, which governs the submission of your script to Company and Black List. The Submission Agreement includes important, legally binding terms and conditions, including arbitration of any disputes, which you must read in full before accepting.
- If requested, you must submit by a date determined by Company the following materials, which are also governed by the Submission Agreement:
- A resume and biography;
- Contact and other personal information; and
- Executed originals of the Submission Agreement.
- If you receive selection, you must agree to enter into a Fellowship Agreement with Company (or an entity affiliated with Company). This will govern the terms of the Fellowship, including granting Company the option to attach as a producer to any number of projects you develop during the Fellowship on terms to be negotiated in good faith, including granting Google a credit line and logo credit in any such film’s end titles, subject to distributor approval.
- be at least 18 years of age and not a minor in the state or country of your residence.
- must not have had any previously compensated script writing work (whether for features or television).
- Script should highlight stories and perspectives from underrepresented communities and marginalized voices.
- Script should be contemporary in nature and avoid violence and/or illegal activity as the premise of the story.
- Also, script can showcase the natural helpfulness of technology in everyday life. However, the script should not focus around technology or from a dystopian view.
- If the script is by a team consisting of one or more writers,
- each member of that writing team must comply with these Submission Requirements. This includes agreeing to the Submission Agreement described below, and
- all members of the writing team must opt-out of the Program if any other member becomes ineligible (including as a result of failing to timely agree to the Submission Agreement or failing to timely provide the materials listed above).
- must be the sole owner of all rights. The script must not in any way infringe upon the copyright of any person or entity or, to the best of your knowledge in the exercise of reasonable prudence, constitute libel, defamation or invasion of privacy or any other rights of any third party. You understand and agree that Black List will share any information that you provide in connection with the Program with Company.
If you meet the requirements above, you can register to submit your script.
For more information, visit the fellowship web page.