The application for the Swedish Institute Study Scholarships 2021/2022 for South African Students is now open. If you are a talented and ambitious citizen of South Africa and want to study for a master’s degree in Sweden on a fully-funded scholarship, this is for you.
About the Award:
In connection with the Bi-national Commission agreement between Sweden and South Africa, the Swedish Institute allocates up to 10 scholarships for South African citizens attending master’s studies starting in the autumn semester 2021.
To be eligible for the Swedish Institute Study Scholarships:
- Applicants must be South African citizens but may, at the time of their application and admission, reside in a country other than South Africa, including Sweden.
- Applicants must be required to pay tuition fees to the universities, followed the steps of university admission, and will be admitted to one of the eligible master’s programs by April 2021
- There are also criteria regarding dual citizenship, previous residence and studies in Sweden, and more. Interested candidates should read more about other eligibility criteria.
The institute will give priority to applicants who meet the requirements below:
- have completed bachelor’s with honours or equivalent from a South African university, and
- choosing study programme with an emphasis on one of the following subject areas (listed in alphabetical order, no priority or ranking is implied):
- Computer science and IT
- Design (industrial design, architecture, urban/regional planning)
- Environmental technology/Sustainable development
- Gender studies
- Public health
- To begin with, apply for a master’s programme at universityadmissions.se, between 16 October 2020 and 15 January 2021.
- Apply for an SI scholarship between 8 and 18 February 2021.
Accepted Subject Areas:
About 600 different study programs at Swedish universities are eligible for a scholarship. Priority will be given to applicants choosing study programmes with an emphasis on gender equality, sustainable development, democracy, human rights or poverty reduction.
Value of Scholarship:
- Tuition fees: directly paid to the Swedish university by us
- Living expenses of SEK 10,000/month
- Travel grant of SEK 15,000 *
- Insurance against illness and accident
- Membership of the SI Network for Future Global Leaders (NFGL) – a platform to grow professionally and build your network and experience, while in Sweden
- Membership of the SI Alumni Network after your scholarship period – a platform for continued networking and further professional development
*The travel grant is a one-time payment for the entire scholarship period. The grant is not applicable to students already living in Sweden.
Duration of Scholarship:
The Swedish Institute Study Scholarships is for full-time master’s level studies of one or two years. It is for programmes starting in the autumn semester. The scholarship is for one academic year (two semesters) at a time. It will be extended for programmes longer than two semesters, provided that the student has passed his/her courses/credits.
How to Apply:
Application to the Swedish Institute study scholarships consist of these steps:
- Apply for a master’s programme at universityadmissions.se
- Apply for SI Study Scholarships for South Africa
- Notifications from University Admissions
- Announcement of up to 10 successful SI scholarship recipients
For more information, visit the programme Webpage.