As a follow up to its strategy to deliver mobile phones and services for the next billion, Nokia has launched “Create for Millions” developers contest. The contest aims to ensure that outstanding apps are created to be used on the S40 devices. As developer, you will be expected to submit your best Series 40 Java or web apps to win your share of cash and prizes, worth 1 million euros. These apps will seek to inform, educate, entertain, and bring people closer together.
Why Should You Develop for Series 40 devices?
- The best features are available for Nokia Series 40 phones
- Cell-ID location, Maps, 3G, and Wi-Fi connectivity
- Home screen access for 3rd party apps (will come as phone Software update), touch and gestures recognition
The Contest Categories
The “Create for Millions” contest features four categories where you can bring out your best work for Nokia’s latest Series 40 phones:
- In the Know – Nokia seeks Series 40 web apps focusing on news and location-based information.
- Fun & Games – Nokia is eager to try your Series 40 Java games and entertainment apps that will fill those spare moments during the day with amusing, unforgettable diversions.
- Emotional Closeness – this is your chance to submit social networking apps that are developed either as Series 40 Java apps or web apps.
- Access to Knowledge – Nokia wants your life improvement apps (e.g., education, health, etc.), and in this category they will accept either Series 40 Java apps or web apps too.
There will be 10 cash prizes for each of the four contest categories, with a top prize of 50,000 euros in each category. The winning apps will be promoted globally in various Nokia-owned channels including: online, social media, newsletters and more. The top app in each of the four categories will also receive a free user experience (UX) consultation from Nokia; and support from a top design agency to create Spotlight banners featuring the winning apps.
Additional prizes from regional versions of this contest will be announced soon.
Additionally, Nokia is offering three special prizes in the contest this year:
- Special Java Prize for best use of MAPs/Location API with Series 40 phones. The winner of this prize will receive 25,000 euros.
- Special Java Prize for Series 40 app with the best touch feature. The winner of this prize will receive 25,000 euros.
- Special Prize for the best Series 40 web app. The winner of this prize will receive 50,000 euros; and Nokia will promote the winning web app in the start page of Nokia Browser for Series 40 in appropriate countries. This means everyone who launches the browser on a compatible Nokia Series 40 phone will be able to see and use this award-winning web app.
How to enter the contest?
To enter Nokia’s Create for Millions contest, you will need to first publish your Series 40 Java or web app to Ovi Store, and then complete the contest registration form using the link below. You must provide the following when you enter the contest:
- Valid contact details
- The content item URL from Nokia’s Ovi Store
- A short demo video to showcase your app
And remember: The deadline to enter Create for Millions is 20 September 2011. By entering the contest you agree to the terms and conditions.
Does this look like a contest you will like to participate in? Click here to enter the Create for Millions contest.
Update: The competition will now close on 01 November 2011
Image credits: Create for Millions website