The BlackBerry has just announced an update to its Messenger SDK with effect from April 25, 2011. The updated Messenger SDK now includes on-device testing capabilities. As a developer, you will be able to use a variety of APIs to give your apps read access to the BBM contact lists, user profiles and groups, while enabling users of your apps to chat and share files such as pictures, voice notes, videos and music.
The BBM platform offers
- Increased engagement and app stickiness
- Increased discoverability and
- Increased monetization
Apps using the BBM Social Platform are, however, only supported by v6.0.0 of the BlackBerry Messenger app. The features of the new SDK include:
- Chat style layout
- Unlimited characters
- Real-time confirmations messages are delivered and read
- Ability to share photos, videos and more with multiple contacts at once
- Add contacts by scanning barcodes or sharing PINs
- Users can share what they’re listening to with their friends
To learn more about this new SDK, visit the getting started page.